FSPW Volunteer Events :: Sept. 2021
Friends of Scotchman Peaks Wilderness seeks volunteers to help on the trails.
– Goat Mountain gets a little love Sept. 25. Enjoy the late summer weather while spending time with fellow wilderness lovers.
Trail crew volunteers are vital in guaranteeing wilderness is open and accessible for everyone. For a different kind of volunteer effort, consider becoming a Trail Ambassador, who remind people that wildlife is best appreciated from a distance. Check out all volunteer opportunities at www.scotchmanpeaks.org.
CHAFE 150 Gran Fondo :: Sept. 11, 2021
Sandpoint Rotary presents the 14th Annual CHAFE 150 Gran Fondo, named one of the top charity rides in the U.S., on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021. The ride takes place in Sandpoint the “Most Beautiful Small Town in the USA.” The 150-mile route is a grand loop around the Cabinet Mountains – a frontal range of the Rocky Mountains of Idaho and Montana – through gorgeous lake and river valleys, encompassing one upriver leg, two downriver legs and one huge lake! In addition, CHAFE offers magnificent 100, 80, 40, and 25 mile routes for riders of any level! The event will cap rider numbers at 400 to allow for greater social distancing in all areas of the ride.
– Registration is now open at CHAFE150.org.
Sept./Oct. Parks and Recreation Programs
Sandpoint Parks, Recreation, and Open Spaces will be offering the following programming in September and October 2021:
– Registration for Adult Doubles Tennis League Subs is still open. The League plays May 18 – September 22 nd 2021. Warm up begins at 5 pm. Match play begins at 5:30 p.m. Fee: $5 ($1 non-resident fee) to join the sub list.
– Ultimate Frisbee League (Ages 16+) it�s not too late to register! League play began June 24th and will continue through October 28, 2021. Play is 5:30 – 7 p.m. every Thursday and will be held at Great Northern Field 8. Fee: $20.
– Coed Youth Flag Football League (grades 3-6). Play split into 3rd/4th grade and 5th/6th grade. Play will be 7-man Alligator format. *NEW FOR THIS YEAR! All play will be at Memorial Field on Saturdays. Play will begin September 25 and play thru October 30. There will be a coach�s meeting before play begins. All coaches will be contacted. Mouth guards are required. One mouth guard will be provided to each player. Registration Deadline: September 12, 2021. Fee: $34.50 ($5.25 non-resident fee)
– Coed Youth Volleyball (grades 3-6). Play split into 3rd/4th grade and 5th/6th grade. *NEW FOR THIS YEAR! All play will be Saturday mornings at the Middle School. Play will begin Saturday, November 6 and play through December 18. (Except: no play – Thanksgiving week.) There will be a coach�s meeting before
play begins. All coaches will be contacted. Registration Deadline: Sunday, Oct 3. Fee: $34.50 ($5.25 non-resident fee). Please note that we have re-tooled both Coed Youth Flag Football and Coed Youth Volleyball Leagues for 2021. Teams will NOT have individual practice at local schools. There will be a practice/clinic each Saturday prior to scrimmage/game play. Players will show up for 2 hours on Saturday to get their practice and scrimmage/games in. Our focus however, remains on FUN AND FUNDAMENTALS. Scholarships are available for all youth league sports, inquire at 208-263-3613 prior to online registration. Adults interested in coaching the philosophies of FUN, fundamentals, and sportsmanship will still be needed, sign up during registration. A red/white nylon mesh reversible sports jersey will still be required for both youth flag and volleyball. They may be purchased online or at the Parks & Recreation Department if you do not already have one. We also allow red and white reversible jerseys from other organizations to be used in our leagues. Jerseys cost $14.50.
– Adult Women’s Volleyball. Play dates start Monday / Tuesday, October 4/5 through December 13/14 at the Bonner County Fair Grounds from 6-9pm. Format: A-1 and A-2 on Mondays, A-3 and A-4 on Tuesdays. Fees are due in full at the mandatory captains meeting on Thursday, September 23 at 5:30pm. The meeting will be at the City Hall Council Chambers. NEW for 2021 � Players will call their own games. Only a gym supervisor will be supplied, no officials. League space limited to the first 24 teams so get your registration in early. Registration Deadline: Thursday, September 9 th 2021. Fee: $350 / TEAM
– Adult Men’s Volleyball. Play dates are Wednesday�s, October 6 through December 8 at the Bonner County Fair Grounds from 6-9pm. Fees are due in full at the mandatory captains meeting on Thursday, Sept. 23 at 5:30pm. The meeting will be at the City Hall Council Chambers. This league has no referees, so teams are responsible for calling their own fouls. Only a gym supervisor will be supplied. League space is limited to the first 24 teams so get your registration in early. Registration Deadline: Thursday, September 9 th 2021. Fee: $300 / TEAM
– The City of Sandpoint Outdoor Shooting Range, located at 113 Turtle Rock Rd, is currently open for the season. Range hours of operation are available on our web site on the most currently posted range calendar.
Contact info: For more information, email [email protected], visit our website, in person at 1123 Lake St., or call 208-263-3613.
Area Golf Courses
Elks Golf Club. This nine-hole course is closest to town, just outside the Sandpoint city limits off Highway 200 East. 208-263-4321. SandpointElks.com.
The Idaho Club. 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course caters to all ability levels and awes all who set foot upon its fairways. Firs and colorful native shrubs frame expertly laid holes, all with striking views of the surrounding mountains. Nearby, the Lower Pack River meanders throughout, as its expansive wetlands provide a pristine and unparalleled links experience. The newly built clubhouse is the central gathering spot with restaurant, deck dining, and plenty of room for private events and celebrations. TheIdahoClub.com.
StoneRidge Golf. Located about 40 minutes southwest of Sandpoint off Highway 41 in Blanchard, StoneRidge has 19 holes on a scenic course with a par-72 layout. StoneRidge hosts a variety of specialty events; for a current schedule call 208-437-4653, or visit StoneRidgeIdaho.com.
Priest Lake Golf Course. Par-72, 6,500-yard course is located at 152 Fairway Dr. in Priest Lake amidst mountains, forests and wetlands on the west side of Priest Lake. Call 208-443-2525 or visit PriestLakeGolfCourse.com.
Yoga, Dance, Gymnastics, Fitness & Wellness
Pilassage. Pilates, yoga, and massage combined keep you healthy, happy, and reform your body with a gentle approach. Message and stretch to soften muscles, then train your core and inner muscles. Bring your own mat and a rolling pin – yes, a rolling pin. Ages 15 to adult; your well-behaved young children are welcome to accompany you. Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. at Community Hall, 204 S. First Ave. $44 fee ($4 city discount). Pre-register online or at Sandpoint Parks and Rec Office, 1123 Lake St. Call 208-263-3613 for more information.
Salsa in Sandpoint. Salsa is an energetic and fun Latin dance. Unlike some partner dances, it is a very sociable dance. Call 208-263-3613 for more information.
Ecstatic Dance. Embody, 823 Main St., holds an Ecstatic Dance class from 10 a.m. to noon every second and fourth Sunday of the month. Ecstatic Dance is a freeform all-ages silent dance meditation where music is your teacher. Cost is $8 to $15 (sliding scale fee); learn more on Facebook/Sandpoint Ecstatic Dance.
Downtown Yoga, 301 Cedar St., Ste. 106, behind Pend d’Oreille Winery, hosts Yin Yoga and the Chakras every Monday, 4 p.m. to 5:10 p.m., $14 drop-in or class pass. In this class we will use Yin Yoga to liberate the chakras and create new promise in the energy body.
Hope Health Fitness Class. The Memorial Community Center, 415 Wellington Pl. in Hope, hosts Health Fitness Classes with Mike Ehredt every Monday and Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Call Mike at 208-360-9647 for more information, or to sign up for the class. $5 per session.
Zumba classes. Zumba is a Latin-dance based fitness class that is fun and highly aerobic (but non-impact). Choose from two class days: Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., or Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Classes are held at the InBody Pilates Studio; 208-290-2600. 66210.zumba.com.
International Folk Dance for Seniors. Luther Park, 510 S. Olive St., hosts classes on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month, from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. The public is invited to attend, and class fee is $5.
Mindful Yoga. Every Monday and Thursday from 5:15 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Gardenia Center, 400 Church St. Deep, mindful yoga weaving dharana and pranayama throughout the sadhana with Maria Alberg. 208-263-2084
Pranic Healing Clinic. The Gardenia Center hosts a free Pranic Healing Class upstairs in the library at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on the last Sunday of every month with one of the following practitioners: Teri McDonald, Mesha Edwards, Gloria Waterhouse or Kelly Navaro.
Walk With A Doc
This walking program is for everyone interested in taking steps for a healthier lifestyle. It is now being offered in Sandpoint and Clark Fork. Local medical practitioners will be leading the walks in both locations.
– Clark Fork: Dr. Heather Margaret will be leading walks in Clark Fork every Monday and Thursday at 12:15 – these walks are located at the grassy area behind the Clark Fork High School.
– Sandpoint: Walks begin at the bear statue before the City Beach entrance and go along the Sand Creek Trail. Jane Hoover, Nurse Practitioner from Family Health Center, leads walks every Tuesday evening at 5:15 p.m. In addition, every other Saturday morning a different medical provider will lead the walk beginning at 8 a.m.
All walks are free and walkers of all ages and abilities are invited to participate. It’s a great way to get out, get active and enjoy good conversation. For more information, call Nanci Jenkins at Bonner County Coalition for Health / Panhandle Health District 208-263-5159
Laoshi Mark Duffner is a certified Tai Chi instructor and self-avowed Tai Chi geek. Duffner will be sharing his enthusiasm for the Tai Chi arts at the Black Bear Martial Arts Center, 114 N. Boyer. Drop-in classes are $10, and will be offered Mondays from noon to 1 p.m., and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Classes will include instruction on basic Tai Chi and Qigong forms and principles. Advanced students will receive training to an increasing level of depth and complexity in accordance with their readiness and willingness to learn more. To register or for more information, contact Black Bear Martial Arts Center directly at 208-255-1111.
Youth Sports Jersey Recycling Program
Have your kids outgrown their red and white youth league jerseys? Put them to great use by donating laundered, gently used jerseys back to Sandpoint Parks and Recreation. Each year, Sandpoint’s P&R gives out approximately $2,000 in scholarships to youth programs, generously donated by various organizations. That money covers jersey costs as well as program fees – unless we have previously used, donated jerseys we can offer those who can’t afford to purchase them. Help keep more money in the scholarship fund for kids to access for recreation program fees by donating jerseys when your children finishes the youth leagues.
– Drop off your jerseys from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at Sandpoint P&R, 1123 Lake St. in City Hall. Questions? Call 208-263-3613. Thanks!