The word is out! Over the last 10 years, Sandpoint has gained national recognition for being one of the best small towns to live in in the west. People move here from around the country, and, sometimes, from around the world, to enjoy our four-season playground. Sandpoint is a place to work hard, but play harder. While recreation opportunities abound, the area also offers a rich variety of history, arts, events, small town hospitality, and community spirit.
- Sandpoint sits at an elevation of 2,070 feet and covers 7 square miles.
- The population is around 10,000 in Sandpoint and close to 60,000 in Bonner County.
- The median sale price of a residential property in 2020 was $500,000 in Sandpoint, $700,000 in Hope, and $400,00 in Priest River.
- The closest international airport is located in Spokane, 70 miles south-west of Sandpoint.
- Sandpoint is 450 miles from Boise; 225 miles from Glacier National Park; 200 miles from Missoula, Montana; and 45 miles from Coeur d’Alene.
- National forests comprise 470,000 acres of Bonner County, more than the combined total of all private land ownership in the county.
- Lake Pend Oreille is home to a U.S. Navy submarine acoustic testing base because of the depth and silence of its southern waters.
REAL ESTATE AND RENTALS
Looking for property to purchase or rent in the Greater Sandpoint community? Find a realtor in our Business Directory.
BANKING & CREDIT UNIONS
Click on the following links or visit the Business Directory to view other financial institutions.
Sandpoint is served by four major highways, a private airport, and railroad infrastructure. The local airport has a 4,600 ft runway with a local charter service. Nearby Spokane, WA, approximately 70 miles away, offers the closest international airport. Sandpoint is also supported by the Burlington Northern, Amtrak, and Union Pacific railways, with the Empire Builder line offering service west to Seattle and east to Chicago, with many stops in-between.
K-12: Sandpoint’s youth are served by the Lake Pend Oreille School District, charter schools, and private schools.
Higher Education: Sandpoint and the surrounding area are served by several higher education institutes, including North Idaho College and Lewis-Clark State College. There are three community colleges within 80 miles: North Idaho College, Spokane Community College, and Spokane Falls Community College, and six four-year institutions within 165 miles: Gonzaga University, Whitworth University, Eastern Washington University, University of Idaho, Washington State University, and Lewis-Clark State College.
CHILDCARE & AFTER SCHOOL CARE
Early childhood development is important to working families. Visit the Business Directory to find a provider that meets your needs.
Sandpoint is a health services hub for North Idaho and the surrounding areas. We have a wealth of providers and organizations available, including Bonner General Health. Looking for a doctor? Visit Family Health Center or visit the Business Directory to find the provider for you!
The following are links to some helpful government and non-profit entities to help you either move or start a business in Greater Sandpoint:
Bonner County Economic Development Corporation
City of Ponderay
City of Sandpoint
Idaho Department of Commerce
Idaho Department of Labor
Idaho Rural Partnership
Idaho Small Business Development Center
Ponderay Community Development Corporation
PLACES TO WORSHIP
Over 35 organizations provide a place for individuals and families to worship. Visit our Business Directory.
Wanting to know more about current happenings in Sandpoint? Visit the following media resources: